Reefs

Did you know that reefs are masses of rock that are in shallow water near the beach. Some reefs can rise up above the water. The most common type of reef is made of coral. Coral reefs are formed in warm tropical and sub-tropical waters that are clear and unpolluted. They are built by tiny animals called polyps. Each casing is built on top of the casing of another polyp and this is how the reef grows.

There are three main types of reefs: fringing, barrier, and atolls. Fringing reefs grow close to the shore with only a narrow lagoon of water behind them. The reefs in the Caribbean Sea are mostly of this type. Barrier reefs grow at much greater distance from the shore, leaving  wide lagoons of sheltered water. The biggest and best known of these is the Great Barrier Reef off the east coast of Australia, which is almost 1,243 miles long. Atolls are circular reefs surrounding a shallow lagoon.

.Caribbean-Coral-Reef

3 thoughts on “Reefs

1. Dear Avery,
    I love your Coral Reefs post! How are you doing in the blogging challenge? Why did you decide to make a post about Coral? The reason why I like Coral Reefs is because there are s to many of them, and there are many different colors that they come in. I especially like the brightly colored ones. Have you ever got to keep some Coral? If you haven’t gotten to then that’s okay, because I’ve never gotten to go scuba diving nor have ever been to Hawaii. It’s really hard to find Coral but I don’t really care, because Coral is home to millions of animals, and I never want to take an animals home from it. When people say the word, Hawaii I always think of warm sandy beaches and Coral reefs and surfing dudes. It’s a pretty weird scenery that I imagine, but it’s true. All the things I Imagine are actually at Hawaii, but I admit there weird. You win. Your word choice in your post was fabulous! You told how long some of the tip’es of Coral can grow to.I also heard that the Coral reefs up in Australia are 1,243 miles long! And that’s just awesome! If you quizzed me on Coral Reefs I’d do awful. Seriously, I would just say that Coral Reefs are home to many animals, the coral reef is a living creature, and Coral Reefs come in different sizes and colors. If you remember in Ms. Wises class, Pela was our classmate and brang a large white piece of coral. I was just earlier watching a show on TV called the Nature show and it was about partner ships with animals, and there were some eels trying to find break fist among the ocean, and there were also lot’s of fish in the coral and the fish didn’t want to be break fist so they decided to be nice and help the eels look for other fish. Coral has always been pretty to me. All Nature has been pretty to me really. Your Comments are just as pretty as Coral. Your Comments may look small but they mean a lot and I hope that I will be able to keep looking forward to seeing you comment and make new posts.
    toodles,
    Katie

• Dear Avery,
      I loved you post about reefs. I didn’t know that some reefs can be above the water. I also learned about the three different kinds of reefs. I hope you continue to write interesting posts like this one.
      Sincerely,
      Auntie Deena

2. Dear Avery

I like your post about reefs. And I like your perisher and wow you squeezed a lot of information in your post.