Gemstones

There are many types of gemstones. I’ll name some: diamonds, opals, emeralds, sapphires and rubies. Diamonds are found in Africa and Australia. I bet you all know that the diamond is the hardest rock in the world. Sapphires and rubies are the second hardest rocks in the word. Sapphires can be blue, green, pink, purple or multiple colors. Diamonds are usually colorless but may be tinged pink or yellow. Emeralds come from the Ural mountains in Russia, from Colombia and from South Africa. The best rubies come from Burma and Thailand. South Australia has some of the best-known opal fields. Rubies are more valuable than sapphires because they are rarer. My birth stone is a diamond. What is your birth stone and your favorite gemstone?

7027545-white-diamonds-backgroundgems

4 thoughts on “Gemstones

1. Dear Avery,
    I am so happy to read your post about gemstones. Do you remember when we saw all the beautiful gemstones last year on the field trip to the Rice Rock Museum? Were you here for that field trip? My birthstone is the sapphire. I didn’t realize that they were the second hardest rock. I think my favorite gemstones are the diamond, sapphire and ruby.

I love your post Avery,
    Mrs. Fordyce

2. Dear Mrs. Fordyce,

No, I was not here for that field trip or any field trips last year, so I missed out. I went to the Utah Natural History Museum and they have an amazing display of gemstones and rocks also. I found a diamond at that display.

I did not know your birthstone was a sapphire. That is the same as my mom’s. Her wedding ring is a sapphire because it is her birthstone and her favorite.

From,
    Avery

3. Dear Avery,

I love this blog post! I am excited that you are learning about gemstones. I did not know that sapphires and rubies are the 2nd hardest rocks. I also did not know that rubies were more valuable than sapphires. As you know, my favorite gem is the sapphire and I wear it every day.

Love,
    Mom